The Religious Institute hopes that religious leaders, social action committees, and congregants will become involved in advocacy for international maternal health and family planning. This resource includes organizations with advocacy campaigns, news updates, and websites to promote universal access to reproductive health and the reduction of maternal mortality. It also provides a guide for approaching congress people about international maternal health and family planning.
How can we stay up-to-date on international maternal health and family planning news and advocacy campaigns?
Many organizations focus on improving maternal health and promoting family planning internationally. Many of these organizations provide action alerts, online communications and social networking tools to raise awareness, educate their supporters, and promote advocacy. The
following is a sampling of key organizations with letter codes indicating how they can help congregations and individuals become involved in advocacy efforts.
Reproductive Health and Family Planning
- Americans for UNFPA
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America
- Association for Women’s Rights in Development
- Population Action International
- Center for Development and Population Activities (CEDPA)
- Population Council
- Center for Health and Gender Equity (CHANGE)
- Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice
- Center for Reproductive Rights
- SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Collective
- Engender Health
- United Nations Foundation: Promoting Reproductive Health
- Family Health International
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- Guttmacher Institute
- Women Deliver
- International Planned Parenthood Federation
- International Women’s Health Coalition
- Pathfinder International
Maternal Health and Maternal Mortality
- CARE: Mothers Matter
- Family Care International
- Global Health Council
- International Initiative on Maternal Mortality and Human Rights
- Maternal Health Task Force
- ONE.org: Women ONE2ONE
- The Partnership for Maternal, Newborn & Child Health
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID): Maternal Health
- The White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood
Are there websites where we can track legislation?
Here are a few websites that track maternal health and family planning legislation in Congress:
- Population Action International tracks international maternal health and family planning legislation.
- Govtrack.us and Thomas (Library of Congress) provides searches of legislation by keyword, by legislator and by topic.
- NARAL: Pro-Choice America tracks state and federal reproductive justice legislation.