UAHC Board of Trustees
New York, New York
The UAHC has long been committed to the right of a woman to choose an abortion. We reaffirm the position of the 56th General Assembly in 1981, and we endorse the following resolution, adopted by the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods in New Orleans in 1989:
1. Affirm our unwavering commitment to the protection and preservation of the reproductive rights of women; pledge our presence and support wherever, whenever, and for however long our goal may require it at the federal, state and local levels of government; further, we affirm our commitment to work in coalition with compatible pro-choice groups, especially the Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights, for the attainment of our common goal.
2. Endorse the 1973 United States Supreme Court decision on Roe vs. Wade and deplore all attempts, legislative and judicial, to dismantle it.
3. Support non-restrictive federal and state funding of reproductive services, including abortion, and non-restrictive private insurer coverage.
4. Support minors’ access to reproductive health services, including contraceptives and abortion, unrestricted by parental notification, parental permission, or court order requirements.
5. Support the use of public hospitals and clinics, however defined, for the performance of abortions, with unrestricted access and funding for women who need it; affirm the right of health professionals, those publicly employed and those in private practice, to provide reproductive service counseling and advice, including information about family planning, contraception and abortion, and to perform abortions; oppose the criminalization of either the health professionals who perform or assist at abortions or the women who receive them and affirm the obligation of local governments to protect physically the clients, staff, and premises of reproductive care facilities against the actions of anti-choice persons and groups.
1. We applaud those decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada that have assured Canadian women their reproductive freedom;
2. We urge the NFTS world-wide constituents to work toward securing or retaining reproductive rights for all women.”
3. In conjunction with the above, we urge our UAHC congregations to work toward securing or retaining reproductive rights for all women.