A Time to Build: Creating Sexually Healthy Faith Communities outlines the building blocks of a sexually healthy faith community. Sections rigorously examine sexually healthy religious professionals, worship on sexuality issues, pastoral care on sexuality, youth and adult sexuality education, safe congregations policies, welcoming and affirming programs, and how congregations can advocate for sexual and spiritual wholeness in their communities.
This resource also includes checklists for congregations to assess their own programs and policies, and presents ideas for strengthening the commitment to be a sexually healthy congregation.
A Time to Build was developed to help clergy and congregations create sexually healthy faith communities, defined as being committed to fostering spiritual, sexual, and emotional health among the congregation and providing a safe environment where sexuality issues are addressed with respect, mutuality, and openness.
The eight building blocks are:
- Sexually healthy religious professionals with training and experience in sexuality issues.
- Worship and preaching periodically on sexuality issues.
- Sexuality education for children and youth.
- Sexuality education and support for adults.
- Welcome and full inclusion for LGBT individuals and families.
- A commitment to being a Safe Congregation, against sexual exploitation of all kinds, including sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct by staff and clergy.