Offered by the Religious Institute in Collaboration with the Office of Formation and Leadership Development of Metropolitan Community Churches
This unique online learning opportunity is self-directed, deeply reflective, and designed to increase knowledge and skills at the intersection of faith and sexuality.
“I have greatly enjoyed this course: the way it took on the subject honestly and openly, the resources provided, and the emphasis on self-examination and reflection. The course has made me think differently about sexuality, power, sex, communication, and so many more dimensions of working in community.” – student comment
“The introduction to church history in the course will be an invaluable jumping off spot for my further theological reflection and study.” – student comment
The course addresses an urgent need among Christian religious leaders to be well-educated in issues related to sexuality. The primary texts for the course are the Religious Institute’s A Time to Build: Creating Sexually Healthy Faith Communities by Rev. Debra W. Haffner, Professional Sexual Ethics: A Holistic Ministry Approach by Patricia Beattie Jung and Darryl Stephens, and Making Love Just by Marvin Ellison.
- understanding personal values and history
- components of sexual identity
- sexual development
- life behaviors of a sexually healthy adult
- dealing with attraction and boundaries
- pastoral care around sexuality issues
- sexuality education in faith communities
- church history and sexuality
- scripture and sexuality
Registration and more information
The course takes approximately 30 hours to complete (plus 1 to 2 hours of reading per week), is a blend of interactive and self-directed learning, and draws on the strengths of peer learning in an online community setting. For optimal learning, students should expect to spend 3 to 5 hours per week (including reading) on the course over the 12 week session.
- The course will run from September 8-December 8, 2019 (Registration form is below).
- Registration fees from $125 to $200 (see registration form for details.)
- For more information send an email to Kentina Washington Leapheart, or call 203-222-0055.