Welcome to the Denominational Statements resource.
The Denominational Statements resource has been created for those seeking up-to-date information about the official positions of major U.S. religious denominations on sexuality-related issues. We hope that clergy, theologians, seminarians, religious educators, congregational committees, journalists and individuals will find this resource useful as a tool for discernment, research and programming.
This resource includes statements from 28 denominations covering official positions on more than 20 issues, including marriage, gender identity, abortion, sexuality education and sexual abuse. Each entry consists of the full text (or excerpt) of a denomination’s position on a particular issue, as well as a link to the original source.
Because of differences in theology, administration and polity, many denominations have not created official policies on every issue included here. Others have issued opinions or position statements.
This resource is a continually evolving and expanding. Religions, denominations, historical documents and the new resolutions will be added regularly.
How to use the Denominational Statements search:
- You can search by issue, by denomination, or by keyword.
- Results can be sorted by type (e.g., position paper, official statement, church policy, etc.).
- All content contained in the Denominational Statements resource is for informational purposes only. All content remains copyright of the organization or denomination by which it was written.
We encourage you to notify us of any relevant denominational statements that have not yet been included. Also, if you are a member of a denomination which has recently changed or updated its policy, please let us know.
Take the Pledge!
Click a term to initiate a search.
- African Methodist Episcopal Church (2)
- American Baptist Churches USA (13)
- Assemblies of God (USA) (8)
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (11)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (14)
- Church of the Brethren (18)
- Church of the Nazarene (3)
- Community of Christ (6)
- Conservative Judaism (37)
- Episcopal Church (43)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (30)
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (9)
- Jewish Reconstructionist Federation (5)
- Mennonite Church USA (8)
- Metropolitan Community Churches (21)
- Moravian Church in North America (6)
- Orthodox Church in America (7)
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) (97)
- Reform Judaism (45)
- Reformed Church in America (15)
- Roman Catholic Church (29)
- Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America (6)
- Seventh-day Adventist Church (11)
- Society for Humanistic Judaism (2)
- Southern Baptist Convention (78)
- Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA) [Religious Institution] (3)
- The Episcopal Church (11)
- The Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod (13)
- The United Methodist Church (46)
- Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations (48)
- United Church of Christ (31)
- United Pentecostal Church International (3)
- Abortion (125)
- Adolescent Sexuality (32)
- Assisted Reproductive Technology (30)
- Bisexuality (60)
- Bullying (1)
- Child Sexual Abuse (47)
- Clergy Sexual Conduct (23)
- Contraception (54)
- Discernment (1)
- Domestic Violence (37)
- Education (1)
- Erotica (44)
- Gender Identity (26)
- General Statement on Sexuality (45)
- Health (1)
- HIV/AIDS (65)
- Homosexuality (162)
- LGBT (1)
- Marriage (74)
- Marriage Equality (49)
- Masturbation (9)
- Maternal Health (1)
- Ministry (1)
- Sex Education (56)
- Sexual Abuse (58)
- Sexual Assault (1)
- Sexual Ethics (2)
- Sexual Harassment (1)
- Sexual Minorities (1)
- Sexual Orientation (126)
- Singleness (26)
- Threats (1)
- Transgender (20)
- Violence (3)
- Violence Against Women (36)