On Monday, January 22nd, we mark 45 years since the Roe v. Wade decision was made, legalizing a woman’s right to safe and legal abortion. As we honor this anniversary, we remember the clergy and people of faith who helped women get access to safe and affordable abortion before it was legal and who opened some of the first abortion clinics after the procedure was legalized. We also look back on the many people of faith who have risen up to defend Roe v. Wade from attempts to make abortion care inaccessible, more expensive, or illegal.
In this moment, people of faith must also commit to rising up for Roe. We must rise up because all people deserve access to safe, affordable reproductive health care, including abortion. We must rise up because we affirm the moral agency and bodily autonomy of women and all people who get pregnant. Here are some ways you can join us in rising up for Roe:
- Post on social media using #RiseUpForRoe.
- Share your abortion story with us and in public.
- Thank the providers at your local Planned Parenthood clinic, and consider becoming a volunteer.
- Learn about the reproductive justice movement, founded in 1994 by women of color.
- Donate to the Religious Institute’s reproductive justice work in honor of the Roe anniversary.
- Reflect with your faith community on the Open Letter on Abortion as a Moral Decision.